Replies: 11 Views: 1397

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:27:45
superdestroyer02.jpg

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:30:18
The Sensational Intelligent Destroyer
Stats: 5' 10' 265 lbs.
Born: 1931 *

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:33:52
d*ck Beyer a.k.a. The Super Intelligent Destroyer was that man, and although his attention grabbing moniker might not be familiar to many modern fans, his impact on wrestling, especially in Japan, is nevertheless enduring. Known worldwide as a true mat technician, the man under the mask was well schooled in the arts of both the amateur and professional aspects of wrestling, and his reputation as a champion preceded him. *

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:34:34
d*ck Beyer was a high school wrestling stand out, and became an amateur champion and football player in college at Syracuse. As was the case for many Greco-Roman wrestlers, the pro ranks were one of only a few options open to a grappler once his amateur career was over, and Beyer climbed into the squared circle in the early 1960's. The maskless Beyer gained some modest success wrestling in various territories. However, when a series of cir tances led to him donning a mask (supposedly for only a few weeks, before he was to be unmasked) and calling himself The Destroyer *

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:34:59
d*ck Beyer's career truly took off. Beyer later explained in an interview: 'So when I went into LA, I went in there on a Thursday. I talked to the office and said, 'You guys must not want me to come in here. I'm down here at the commission office and my name isn't even in here to get a license.' Jules Strongbow says, 'Well, you're not in here as Beyer.' 'What the hell have you got me wrestling under?' He says, 'We're going to put a mask on you and call you The Destroyer.' I said, 'I don't even have a mask!' *

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:36:22
The Destroyer was an almost instant hit with the fans, and when his paychecks began to increase dramatically, Beyer resigned himself to the fact that he would be a masked man for the rest of his career, instead of the few weeks he originally planned. Although The Destroyer made his presence felt as a villain originally, he wrestled 'on both sides of the fence', so to speak, and was often the fan favorite. His wrestling skill was undeniable, and separated him from his competition. *

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:36:49
In addition, he was admired for taking the long-held traditions of being a masked man very seriously, as all masked greats have. Beyer has stated in interviews that, after leaving whatever arena he had just performed in, he would sometimes have to drive his car while wearing his (trademark white w/blue trim) mask for as long as a half an hour -- just to make sure no fans would catch a glimpse of his face. *

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:37:08
He established himself as a popular attraction on the various regional promotions he competed in, and his legendary feuds with the likes of Fred Blassie, the Bruiser, Pedro Morales, 'Cowboy' Bob Ellis, Nick Bockwinkle, 'Mad Dog' Vachon, The Sheik, and many others drew sold out crowds wherever he performed. Later, he would go on to achieve even greater fame and notoriety in The Land of the ring Sun, where he was (and still is) considered a true wrestling legend. A brief look at his title history speaks for itself... *

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:37:32
He won the prestigious WWA World Heavyweight title in 1962, and held the title for nearly a full year before being defeated by archrival 'Classy' Freddie Blassie. All total, The Destroyer held the WWA World title on 3 separate occasions. In 1963 & 1964, he teamed with Art Michalik to win the Pacific Northwest Tag Team title, twice. Also (twice) in 1964, The Destroyer teamed with Hard Boiled Haggerty to win the W.W.A. World Tag Team title. He also defeated 'Mad Dog' Vachon to win the prestigious NWA Pacific Northwest Heavyweight title in the mid-1960's. During the late 1960's in the AWA, Beyer transformed himself into the evil Doctor X (pictured, left), and scored an AWA World Heavyweight title when he defeated Verne Gagne for the championship in 1968. In 1970, The Destroyer defeated rival Pedro Morales to win the Hawaiian version of the North American title, and he also won the Canadian International Heavyweight title in 1983. *

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:38:46
Beyer often parti ted and helped promote amateur wrestling tournaments throughout the United States. When he wasn't performing in the ring, The Destroyer could surely be found somewhere in the U.S. supporting amateur wrestling, as well as occasionally training men entering the pro ranks. *

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:39:04
His commitment to the sport carried on long after his retirement in the early 1980's, and he has stayed very much in tune with the happenings in both professional and amateur wrestling. As a result of his lifelong love and dedication to the sport, both genres of wrestling are better off. *

twonksta 5/16/2007 - 5:40:50
image148.jpg *

This topic is locked.
* wrestlemania Forum

Search:
topics replies

* wrestlemania

Create Your Own App Store

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits

Create Your Own App Store